Since we final as compared Tesla with Toyota Motor’s, the sector’s biggest and most a hit auto company, in early February 2020, Tesla stock has soared by nearly 7x, with its market cap crossing the $1 trillion designate, while Toyota stock is up valid about 30%. Whereas Toyota stays the benchmark of profitability and effectivity in the auto business, there are signs that Tesla is additionally catching up. But does this define Tesla’s surge? Let’s steal a learn about. We’ve updated our dashboard analysis on How Does Tesla Compare With Toyota? to present a complete overview of how Tesla’s key earnings, margin, and dealing metrics stack up versus Toyota’s. Functions of the analysis are summarized below.
Whereas Toyota’s revenues came in at about $232 billion in FY’21 (fiscal year ended March 2021), when put next with valid about $27 billion in 2020 for Tesla, Tesla is rising great extra snappy, with sales rising at a CAGR of over 44% over the final three years, when put next with Toyota, which has seen tiny development, with sales certainly declining in FY’21. Tesla’s complete deliveries stood at about 500k over 2020, when put next with about 7.6 million autos delivered by Toyota. Tesla has guided that it intends to grow deliveries at a compounded rate of over 50% per annum going forward.
Tesla’s Tainted Margins stood at 25.6% in 2020, up from 25.2% in 2016, despite scaling-up production of the lower-priced Model 3 and Model Y. The corporate has extra room to make stronger margins, because it cuts battery costs, expands deliveries, and upsells its self-utilizing instrument. Toyota’s erroneous margins, on the assorted hand, maintain declined from around 21.3% in FY’16 to about 15.5% in FY’21, partly attributable to the affect of Covid-19.
Tesla is additionally managing its working capital extra and extra effectively. Though Toyota has an edge by approach of inventory administration, with its turnover ratio – calculated as the worth of goods offered divided by average inventory – standing at 8x versus 5x for Tesla in doubtlessly the most most up-to-date fiscal year, Tesla’s ratio is bettering. Tesla has an edge over Toyota by approach of days of sales excellent – a measure of how snappy a company collects money from its customers – with its average receivable sequence period standing at 21 days versus 37 for Toyota. That is possible attributable to Tesla’s converse sales mannequin, which bypasses dealers.
Coming to production effectivity, we estimate that Tesla delivered about eight autos per stout-time employee over 2020, when put next with about 24 for Toyota. (Indicate that we expend complete workers for Toyota, including its finance operations) Alternatively, Tesla can maintain to aloof be in a job to scale up this metric meaningfully, given that it has been extra and extra automating its production services.
So clearly, Tesla is rising great faster than Toyota, with its margins on the uptrend, and its production and operational metrics are additionally taking a learn about higher. Alternatively, with a market cap of about $1.1 trillion, is Tesla certainly rate over 3.5x Toyota or effectively bigger than your complete various predominant automotive corporations blended? We don’t mediate so. We cost Tesla at about $610 per part, marking a cleave rate of about 45% below the most up-to-date market keep. Stare our analysis on Tesla Valuation: Expensive or Low-keep for extra small print.
[2/10/2021] Evaluating Tesla With Toyota
Tesla stock is up by nearly 2.5x over the final three months, making it the sector’s 2nd most beneficial automaker, in the support of Toyota, which in many respects is the benchmark of profitability and effectivity in the auto business. On this analysis, we review Tesla’s key earnings, margin, and dealing metrics with Toyota’s.
- Toyota’s automotive revenues stood at about $253 billion in 2019, when put next with about $21 billion for Tesla.
- Tesla’s Tainted Margins stood at 21% in 2019, down from 25% in 2016, though they remain higher than Toyota’s margins of 17%.
- Tesla’s SG&A and R&D prices, as a % of revenues, are higher when put next with Toyota’s, though they maintain been declining at a rapid glide, as the corporate scales up its revenues.
- Being a extra veteran business, Toyota stays neatly before Tesla by approach of manufacturing effectivity, producing extra autos per employee, while utilizing its fixed resources and inventory extra effectively.
Indicate: Toyota’s FY ends March, while Tesla’s ends in December. Now we maintain excluded numbers from Toyota’s financing business for the motive of this analysis.
#2. Tainted Margins & Working Prices
#2.1 Tainted Margins
- Tesla’s Tainted Margins stood at 21% in 2019, down from 25% in 2016, as the corporate scales-up production of the lower-priced Model 3.
- Alternatively, it is far doable that margins will make stronger going forward, driven by rising volumes and higher automation.
- Toyota’s margins stood at about 17% in 2019.
#2.2 Working Prices
- Tesla’s SG&A and R&D prices, as a % of revenues, are higher when put next with Toyota’s though they maintain been declining at a rapid glide, as the corporate scales up its revenues.
#3. Other Working Metrics
#3.1 Working Capital Ratios
- Stock turnover ratio is calculated as the worth of goods offered divided by average inventory. The next ratio indicates that a company is extra efficient in managing its inventory.
- Toyota’s turnover ratio stood at 9x versus 5x for Tesla in 2019.
- Days of sales excellent is a measure of how snappy a company collects money from its customers. Tesla looks to be before Toyota on this regard, with its receivable sequence period standing at 20 days versus 30 for Toyota.
#3.2 Vehicles Delivered Per Fleshy-Time Employee
- We estimate that Tesla has delivered about 9 autos per stout-time employee over 2019, when put next with about 24 for Toyota. (Indicate that we expend complete workers for Toyota, including its finance operations)
- Alternatively, Tesla can maintain to aloof be in a job to scale-up this metric meaningfully, given that it has been extra and extra automating its production services.
#3.3 Mounted Asset Turnover & Capital Expenditure
- Mounted Asset Turnover is calculated as revenues divided by average fixed resources and measures how effectively a company utilizes its resources. The next quantity is most often higher.
- The Mounted Asset turnover ratio for Toyota stood at 2.7x, versus 1.9x for Tesla, though Tesla’s metric has been trending continuously higher.
- Tesla’s CapEx stood at $1.3 billion, a pair of tenth of Toyota’s 14 billion in 2019 CapEx.
What when you happen to’re looking out for a extra balanced portfolio as a alternative? Here’s a top quality portfolio that’s beaten the market since the quit of 2016.
Returns Nov’21 MTD  YTD  2017-21 
TSLA Return 6% 61% 2560%
TM Return 1% 15% 51%
S&P 500 Return 1% 24% 108%
Trefis MS Portfolio Return -2% 48% 301%
 Month-to-date and year-to-date as of 11/30/2021
 Cumulative complete returns since 2017
Invest with Trefis Market Beating Portfolios
Stare all Trefis Designate Estimates